Infant, Toddler and Preschool Programs
Our programs are inspired by the Reggio Emilia approach which is a world-renowned pedagogical method that nurtures and empowers children to become imaginative thinkers.
At The Valley School, we share the belief that children are powerful and competent individuals, who take joy in building knowledge. We also recognize that children are social beings, who learn through relationships and in relation to others. Each child brings experiences to the group that are enriched by family, community and their own unique culture and/or heritage. As teachers inspired by the Reggio Emilia approach, we respect children’s interests by guiding and supporting their learning and providing opportunities to encourage curiosity and inspire creativity. Young children who are taught in this manner learn to consider different perspectives and to ask questions, developing innovative problem-solving skills. We believe that combining the Reggio Emilia approach with developmentally appropriate practices in early childhood programs and an Emergent Curriculum ensures that each child will reach his or her full potential for growth and development.
At the Valley School, we pride ourselves on our cutting edge infant program. We provide a non-restrictive-response environment designed to give your infant the freedom to safely explore his or her world. Our caring experienced teachers understand the importance of providing rich learning experiences, positive interactions, and promoting brain development through engaging play activities. We believe in the importance of early exposure to music and art. These key elements of emotional & intellectual development are featured prominently in our Infant program. Every classroom is equipped with state of the art materials hand selected to help build emerging skills that will prepare every infant for future learning.
In the Infant Rooms you will see:
Experienced, responsive teachers who know how to tune in to each individual baby to help them feel that the world is a place they can trust.
A non-restrictive, responsive environment designed to give infants the chance to move freely and explore their world.
Materials chosen to help infants experiment and build emerging skills. (For example soft mats in varied heights for crawling and gross motor development; or sand/water tables for early sensory development)
Teachers who understand the importance of and the connection between rich language experiences, positive interactions and brain development.
Experience with music and art.
Child, Parent & Teacher partnerships and documentation that support your infants’ growth and development.
The Toddler program at The Valley School is focused on providing an environment that encourages your child to actively explore the world with their bodies and all their senses. In every classroom, you will find experienced teachers who are skilled in supporting toddlers’ growing independence, emerging skills, & developing sense of self. Classrooms are equipped with materials that promote and inspire a variety of learning-rich experiences – from providing cause/effect experiences to help toddlers figure out how the world works to opportunities to explore different art materials and even create music.
Each day at The Valley School is filled with rich experiences with language through conversations, stories, songs, finger plays, and other such activities. Your child will begin developing number sense (early mathematical concepts) and have access to a variety of tools to help them build a strong foundation for future learning.
In the Toddler Rooms you will see:
- Experienced teachers who are skilled in supporting toddlers’ growing independence, emerging skills and developing sense of self.
- An environment that encourages toddlers to actively explore with their whole bodies and all their senses.
- Materials that are full of cause and effect experiences to help toddlers figure out how the world works.
- An explosion of language supported by rich experiences with conversations, stories, songs and finger plays.
- Opportunities to explore art materials, create and listen to music
- Child, Parent and Teacher partnerships which support and reinforce your toddlers’ exploration of the world
Preschool teachers at The Valley School are experienced in nurturing and aiding in the development of childrens’ ideas, interests and curiosity. Preschool classrooms provide a rich natural environment where your child can experiment, create, design, explore, and expand their knowledge. Children will have access to a variety of art and music materials for creative development and self-expression. Collaborative activities will help your child build a sense of community while forming friendships and developing social skills.
One of the best features of the Preschool program is that our experienced teachers facilitate learning through the promotion of meaningful investigations that give your child the chance to ask questions, make predictions and build skills in language, reading, math and science. These investigations often result in long-term projects that give meaning to learning and allow for the children to reach a deeper understanding of their subject.
In the Preschool Rooms you will see:
- Teachers who are experienced in supporting Preschooler ideas, interests and curiosity about the world.
- An environment rich in choices to give children authentic experiences and many ways to act on their ideas.
- Materials to give your child many opportunities to experiment, create, design, explore and expand their knowledge of the world.
- A variety of art and music materials available for self expression.
- Children and teachers learning together through meaningful investigations which give children the chance to build language, reading, math, science, reasoning and social skills
- Child Parent and Teacher partnerships which support the initiative and curiosity of preschoolers.